Stion CIGS vs Crystalline
Advantages of STION CIGS Solar Technology VS Crystalline Technology
- The light spectrum spans from ultraviolet to visible to the near-infrared region. Mono crystalline solar cells absorb light in the spectrum which ranges from 400-700 nm, CIGS solar cells absorb light in the spectrum which ranges from 300-1300 nm. This wider range of light absorption effectively means that a CIGS solar panel can generate power for a much longer period of time each day. In other words CIGS solar panels will keep generating power from sunrise to sunset.
- Solar panels made from crystalline silicon exhibit degradation following long-term exposure to intense light which reduces their ability to generate power. A study conducted at Arizona State University and TUV Rheinland PTL concluded that the power output from solar panels made with crystalline silicon decrease by approximately 0.5 percent per Celsius degree as temperature increases. CIGS solar panels display a much lower loss of power as temperature increases. This is known as a solar panel’s temperature coefficient. CIGS solar panels generate consistent (kwh) output regardless of long periods of exposure to sunlight.
- CIGS solar panels typically generate 1.2 times more energy than standard crystalline silicon solar panels. CIGS solar panels produce consistent superior output (kwh/kwp) when tested in the same natural (outdoor) environment as crystalline solar panels.
- Crystalline silicon based solar panels have a degradation factor of 1-2% in (kwh) output per year. CIGS modules provide consistent (kwh) output each year with little or no degradation.
- CIGS solar panels provide excellent performance during low light, cloudy or hazy conditions. CIGS solar panels are activated by the presence low intensity photons. Cigs solar panels are less dependent on direct sunlight or the position of the sun in order to produce electricity. Cigs solar panels are one of the most diverse and effective solar panels available and can operate in most light conditions.
- CIGS solar panels are one of the most light-sensitive solar technologies on the market. Research shows that CIGS solar panels produce more electricity per day operating in the same natural environment as crystalline solar panels. CIGS panels absorb more sunlight per day so they produce more energy per day.
- Esthetics: Most agree that the uniform solid black color of the panels provide a far more appealing appearance.